Got a remembering day barbecue coming up? Charcoal broiling food outdoors is a great approach to jubilate holidays or just celebrate admirable weather and amazing food.
Nowadays, people have gradually taken the health into consideration, especially, eating. Instead of using the convenient tools, they start finding the natural models.
That’s why the grillers prioritize to choose to utilize hardwood lump charcoal to replace briquettes. Apart from burning hotter, the lump charcoal is safer because it contains less carbon and ash.
Furthermore, the chemicals in lump charcoal are natural. The product does not also involve the additives, so it makes sure that your foods will be healthiest and cleanest.
On the other hand, once you choose to use lump charcoal, controlling the heat will become easier because it provides a reasonable amount of oxygen.
We have tried many types of lump, from the cheapest to most expensive ones in the market to find the best. They cannot reach the quality of homemade one, but some have proved competence and significant effects. I know you don’t want to waste much time and money to experience all the types, so the article may come in handy when you need something of high quality.
|Jealous Devil All Natural Lump Charcoal (Editor’s Choice)||Best Long-time Burning|
|Fogo Premium Lump Charcoal (Professional’s Choice)||Best Hardwood Lump Charcoal|
|Original Natural Charcoal||Best For Smoking|
|Mangrove Hardwood Lumps Charcoal||Best All-Around Product|
|Bayou Classic Natural Charcoal Briquets||Best Cheap Charcoal Briquets|
|Royal Oak Lump Charcoal||Best Material Quality Brand|
Jealous Devil All Natural Lump Charcoal – Best Long-time Burning
It’s a bit surprising to me that many people don’t know about the fantastic product. We often buy ones from familiar brands such as Big Green Egg, Royal Oak, Original, and avoid trying new things.
In my opinion, Jealous Devil is breaking all records of best lump charcoal and gaining the champion. There are many things I want to praise about the product, and just a little bit complaining.
Refer as the “wicked good” charcoal, the Jealous Devil lump charcoal is an excellent product for smoking and grilling that comes in restaurant quality, meaning you can create amazing food from the comfort of your own home.
Its premium ingredients make it burn with less smoke, sparks, and produce less ash for easier clean up than your regular charcoal.
Another thing we liked about Jealous Devil is that they care about the environment and use sustainable wood for making their lump charcoal. Despite their growing demand, they have never cut a tree just to produce charcoal. We like this product and would recommend it as the best lump charcoal for smoking and grilling.
Fogo Premium Lump Charcoal – Best Hardwood Lump Charcoal
The Fogo FHWC35LB is a premium hardwood lump charcoal and also the best lump charcoal for Big Green Egg or Kamado Joe grilling cookware. This product is 100% natural lump charcoal and has no other chemicals or additives. So, you’re insured with a clean and natural burning fire that will make your food taste even better.
Click the photo to see the Price on AmazonThis lump charcoal is made from dense Central American Oak Hardwood trimmings with hand selected pieces placed in the bag. This makes sure that you get the top quality lump charcoal pieces you can use for cooking, although some users say that they find the pieces a little too big. However, you can try to cut to your desired size if needed to.
Fogo lump charcoal lights fast and can be ready to grill within 15 minutes. Lighting it up is easy without the need to use lighter fluid. Simply build a pile of lump charcoal and place a vegetable oil-soaked ball of kitchen paper towel underneath. Since it is dense and easy to light, it can burn hotter and longer than any regular charcoal.
All in all, those who want to enjoy a grilled dish with a natural flavor, the Fogo lump charcoal can be one of the shopping selection. The product does not come with the toxic components, so it is healthy.
Original Natural Charcoal – Best For Smoking
Original Natural Charcoal is another 100% natural hardwood lump charcoal that blends apple, cherry, and oak trees that emit a sweet aroma, warm and add a fruity flavor to the meats. It makes your food more delicious and smoky with a sweet flavor which is perfect for beef, poultry, game birds, and pork.
Original will never make customers disappointed if we just consider the smoky aroma the dishes will receive. Being the perfect combination of apple, cherry, and oak woods, Original lump charcoal has a flavorful, impressive smell. Just by lighting up an oven full of the product, I can make the members of my family’s mouths watering without putting anything on the fire.
The model provides the heat level more than the traditional charcoal, along with the slow-burning speed, so you will not worry about burning your foods. Basically, the Original Natural is good enough for an outdoor party.
Mangrove Hardwood Lumps Charcoal – Best All-Around Product
You are looking for a lump charcoal with a reasonable price, but it still makes sure the quality, aren’t you? Well, the Mangrove Hardwood BBQ Lump Charcoal is what you need.
Similarly, this lump charcoal also includes the chunks, which only involve the natural ingredients without chemicals as well as additives.
On the other hand, it provides the hardwood flavor. So, your dishes are both healthy and rich in the flavor.
It will not take much time to light, but the burning time can last more 4 hours. This is actually ideal if you have planned to organize an outdoor family party.
Beyond that, once you choose to use the Mangrove Hardwood for your grills, smokers,…, you will save your time to clean because they do not produce any smoke or sparks after burning.
Plus, owing to being hardwood, the burning time is enduring. It is extremely suitable for slow-cooking.
The foods are golden. The taste is natural. The health is ensured. There are the outstanding features that this lump charcoal brings the users.
Bayou Classic Natural Charcoal Briquets – Best Cheap Charcoal Briquets
100-percent natural and a necessity for the ultimate charcoal grilling experience, Bayou Classic Natural Charcoal Briquets light faster and burn hotter than other charcoal briquets, while also lasting longer to help maintain an accurate temperature range whether smoking, grilling, or searing meat. No chemical additives or fillers make for a cleaner burning fuel and less ash, with the benefit of natural grilling flavor.
The most meritorious thing about Bayou Classic lump charcoal is that the price is compatible with the quality. It’s not the cheapest thing you can find in the market, but the comparing to the quality, it is impressive. With the same good features, Royal Oak is more expensive owing to golden brand name. If you a starter who doesn’t want to risk too much money, Bayou Classic is a suitable choice.
Royal Oak Lump Charcoal – Best Material Quality Brand
The name Royal Oak tell all about the quality of this product. 100% natural wood, mostly oak, is used to make the ultimate product. Therefore, not only the burning is consistent, the heat given out is impressive, but the smoky aroma is very natural as well.
Lump in general burns a lot cleaner than briquets – no filliers. However the results can be inconsistant, primarily due to how well of a job you do in packing it into your charcoal basket. Due to it’s irregular shape if you just dump it in you end up with a lot of big air pockets in the pile, this in turn allows it to burn hotter, and if you don’t have a pit that seals very well you can end up being unable to keep the temps down – and you go through your fuel faster. If you can take the time to layer it in by hand and adjust the pieces for a tighter pack you will get good results.
What is Lump Charcoal?
Lump charcoal is produced by burning out pieces of dense wood until all the water, sap, and moisture are gone. After that, what’s left is a less harmful lump of charcoal that responds well to oxygen when burning. Furthermore, lump charcoals do not contain chemicals or additives so it’s the cleanest and safest way to grill.
Lump Charcoal vs Briquettes
When mentioning to charcoal, people often concentrate on considering and comparing charcoal vs. briquettes. Which one is better? It is difficult to answer, but I can help you determine the suitable kind. Let’s see!
In general, lump charcoal uses natural materials compared to briquettes, therefore these do not use chemicals and additives. However, it can be more expensive than briquettes. But what’s great about these is it’s easy to light and the burning time is usually longer because of the dense hardwood material. Other than those, it emits less smoke and ash so it’s easier to clean.
Briquette charcoal is wood that is processed and pressed into blocks. Many of the briquette shape and size is made to look nice but it contains carbon and additives to help it burn. It’s also known to produce more ash during cooking so people are worried about it going to their food. Price wise, it is cheaper than lump charcoal but the downside is less clean.
Must-Have Features to Look For In a Best Lump Charcoal
Now, I bet you are considering which criteria I’m basing on to decide which one is a good type of lump charcoal, and which one is not. Of course, I don’t say things just because I want to. There are a bunch of features people often look for when seeking the best lump charcoal. I have my own standards, too, and now I will share them with you.
- LIGHTING UP SPEED – People using a BBQ oven or a green egg for the first time may get confused with how to light up the coal. You can’t expect lump to burn with just a match, but good products should ease with lighting. If you have hover over the oven more than 15 minutes but the charcoal is still jet black, so one, it’s of bad quality and useless; or two, you are too dumb to go on the way to become a grilling master.
- BURNING TIME – Packed lump charcoal is not too expensive, but more extended the chunks can last in the oven, the more grateful families using much of the product (just like mine) will be. Some people may mistake the long-lasting charcoals with those including large pieces. According to my experience, larger chunks can stay longer, but it means you have to burn more lump, and the cost stays the same. Besides, long-lasting charcoal will be much helpful when you want to cook a full pot of stew in your backyard oven.
- BURNING CONSISTENCY – Your BBQ will taste much better if it is evenly cooked. Therefore, you should choose lump charcoal whose burning is consistent.
- Heat – It is better to notice that some kinds of lump charcoal burn much hotter than the others. Ones which can produce significant heat are more likely to give you better tasting grilled dishes.
- THE CONTENT OF THE CHARCOAL BAG – If you have experience using more than one kind of lump charcoal, you may see some brands add fillers to the bag. The tiny pieces, which are entirely useless, often find their way to the bottom of the sack, so we can’t see it soon after opening.
- THE PRESENT OF ADDITIVES – Some brands put some substances into the lump to boost the lighting up speed or reduce the ash remnant. However, those additives will change the original smoky aroma of a great BBQ. Besides, who can tell whether they are harmful to our health or not? Lump charcoal with a high amount of additives included has a high chance of giving out chemical smell while getting burnt. You will know if the product you just ought is good right after it lightens up.
- THE AMOUNT OF ASH REMNANT – Best lump charcoal will leave little ash after cooking. Too much ash will make the cleaning process after the party more troublesome. Not to mention the dirt sticking to the food will cook. Although ash from lump charcoal doesn’t contain harmful substances, it may make you lose your appetite by one look.
- Your Budget – Products which are too cheap often have questionable quality, while too expensive ones not only make you break the bank but also don’t usually meet our expectation. Costly lump charcoal often comes from famous brands, who, as I often say in my articles, sell their name more than the real value. You should choose a product which goes well with your budget, but not too cheap because cheap often turns out to be costly in the long run. Just consider all the criteria above and compare them with the price.
Using lump charcoal for grilling will definitely make your food tastier, healthier, and safer to eat. Based on our research and reviews, they are better than using briquettes despite being more expensive because they are earth-friendly, easier to light, cleaner, and longer lasting.